Barrow in Furness
Barrow-in-Furness locally or (commonly known as Barrow) is an industrial town and seaport which forms about half the territory of the wider Borough of Barrow-in-Furness in the county of Cumbria, England. It lies 100 km (62 mi) northwest of Manchester and 90 km (56 mi) southwest from the county town of Carlisle. The town is situated at the tip of the Furness peninsula bordered by Morecambe Bay, the Duddon Estuary and the Irish Sea. Barrow is located some 360 km (just over 220 miles) north-west of London and 60 miles south of the Scottish border. It has a population of 59,181.
In the Middle Ages, Barrow was a small fishing hamlet within the parish of Dalton-in-Furness. Furness Abbey, on the outskirts of the modern day town, controlled the local economy before its dissolution in 1537. Even as late as 1843 there were still only 32 dwellings including two pubs. The iron prospector Henry Schneider arrived in Furness in 1839 and, with other investors, opened the Furness Railway in 1846 to transport iron ore and slate from local mines to the coast. Further hematite deposits were discovered in 1850, of sufficient size to develop factories for smelting and exporting of steel. By the late late 19th Century, Barrow was home to the largest steelworks on earth. The natural harbour the booming town possessed allowed the locally produced steel to be put to another use: shipbuilding, and its population had reached 47,000 by 1881.
The modern day town of Barrow has an eclectic mix of restaurants and bars and is popular with both locals and tourists. There is plenty to see and do in the area and Abbey House is the ideal base for you to start your exploration. Shopping is available on Dalton road and Portland walk in the town, and there are several retail parks out with the town centre.
BAE systems is one of many substantial employers in Barrow which is famous for the shipyard and the submarines which are built in the dry dock. The Abbey House prides itself in being the original house occupied by the Chairman of BAE systems back in 1914 which was then Vickers shipyard. There are still original features in the hotel which can be seen today and the drawings of Harold Riley are on view throughout the hotel.